Monday, May 6, 2013

Firsts... Prom, weddings and such...


 Firsts... I can't believe how many things I have had to do for the first time since Madie died that have been so difficult.  Last week I found myself doing hand sewing all week getting a dress ready for MarShae to wear to prom.  Honestly, I didn't think I would be doing another formal until MarShae’s senior year for prom because part of doing the dresses for Madie last year was that MarShae would be also able to wear them.  That illusion was shattered…   but seriously it would be too weird, too soon, too memorialized right now. Besides she needed to know she was the girl of the night, right?  Even so, the task completely overwhelmed me… Thankfully I had a dear friend who could see MarShae’s needs, shopped with me for fabric, constructed the basic dress and encouraged me to be able to take on the lace work and finish the dress.  So grateful! 

 I know what "real" angels feel like...
Almost ready, last touches... Prom 2012
Your absence has gone through me like thread through a needle... 
Everything  I do is stitched with it's color.
Senior Prom 2012 Madeline Rose 
I was literally up to my eyeballs in MarShae’s dress, crying often as memories flooded my mind of a short year ago when I was in crunch time on Madie’s prom dress, when I was kindly asked if I could possibly do one of Madie's friends hair for her wedding in two days. I burst into tears when I read the message, not knowing how I could even do something so soon, so personal,   what I always did for Madie, on her friend's wedding day… So hard, and yet I felt like Madie would want me to.
Homecoming Senior Year with Sawyer
A little history… Madie's first date was with this couple and she adored them.  We talked extensively about them when she was trying to figure out if she should go to college in a relationship with Sawyer.  It was a dream that I shared with Madie, a possibility, an illusion,,,  No wedding, no happily ever after… how could I do this… I called her mother and she was so kind, understanding that it might be hard both physically and emotionally for me to do.
They shared with me that a hairdresser had done her hair the previous Saturday  for bridal portraits.  It wasn’t what they had hoped for, then it started raining so the photo shoot was canceled.  They said a prayer asking who could maybe do her hair and give her the look she wanted for her wedding day. My name came to both of them…

 I wondered who was playing with my life… I had earlier that day decided I didn't want to attend the reception because I thought it would be too hard, now this choice... I did the only thing I could, I prayed.  I poured my heart out to Heavenly Father and told him how overwhelmed I was with the dress and also I didn't know if I could do her hair. I felt like it was something I have the talent to do, but not sure the heart to be able pull it off.  I again felt Madie would want me to do her friends hair, so I  agreed and went back to sewing, tears rolling down my cheeks. I asked my Savior to sustain me and help me accomplish the tasks at hand.  So many times I felt encouraged while sewing MarShae’s dress, interspersed with flashbacks of Madie's prom exactly a year ago.  I felt prompted numerous times to go put on a conference talk, read scriptures, read Madie's journal...  It always lightened my burdens..

I knew the spirits voice...

 I awoke early and prayed to have the strength and ability to do her hair, knowing how important her day was....  I saw pictures and went to work not sure if I could make it happen.  I found myself crying and silently praying. My brain was so scattered, I don't know how I did her hair, but it happened. I was invited to come to the temple afterwards to see her in her dress while pictures were taken. Back to work on the dress, more tears.. Friends reached out as I stitched....I decided to go see and  was pleasantly surprised when I saw her. How perfect she looked.  It was like a masterpiece... 

 I knew who the "real" creator was...

 I was watching the bride and groom, in my own little world, really happy for the two of them, yet so aware of what wouldn't be happening for me. While taking everything in I had a chance encounter with an apostle who had been told of my situation.

 He came up to me, looked me in the eyes  put his hands on my arms, and spoke tender words of comfort to me.  I can't remember much of what he said, but I do know I felt enveloped in love.  It was as though my Savior stood there staring into my eyes with a love that consumed me..  It overwhelmed me to my very core, tears streamed down my cheeks, and I felt a love that is beyond description. I remember him gazing into my eyes and telling me that Heavenly Father doesn't allow us to have any experiences here in mortality that aren't necessary for our Eternal progression. I remember nodding my head in understanding of what he was telling me...
Timeless
I knew who the "real" healer was...

I marvel even as I write this of all of the sacred experiences I have had since Madie has died, for that I am so grateful to see the hand of God as he comes through, showing me his power.  
As for prom, well that was really amazing to have so much help come from different places that brought it all together. Messages, texts, rides, things dropped off, shoe shopping, her hat created, MarShae’s hair styled  by someone besides me.. I stitched till we put the dress on MarShae, added the completed hat, and just stood in awe at what had happened… Again I knew who the creator is, and for that I give thanks to my Heavenly Father for once again showing me nothing is too difficult… my trust and faith strengthened this week…
Pure joy... Makes it all worth the effort!
MarShae's first formal




                                                                  The design team

6 comments:

  1. Just stunning, as usual JoLynn! You are a master with a needle and thread, and hair, and so many things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tara... This is really happening because of you and your love and service....

      Delete
  2. amazingly beautiful both of your daughters are. Madie was beautiful and so is Marshae. I am amazed at what talent you have. that dress is absolutely stunning, and looks stunning on your daughter and so are your daughter's hair. both dresses are gorgeous. <3 I wish I had the talent with a needle and thread. <3 April

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you April! You are so sweet to have responded, I just came across this and it meant so much to me. <3 JoLynn

      Delete
  3. Beautiful. Everything. You words, your experiences, your daughters. Madie and MarShae do look so much alike to me. They are both now and forever beautiful- just like their mother, as well as their creator :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephanie! I feel so fortunate to have had both of them. I have often thought how awful it would be if I had stopped with Madie as i originally thought would complete my family!

      Delete