Monday, December 16, 2013

Insights learned during my 17 second experiment

A tip that I realized today with the 17 second rule is that when I am in the place where I feel like the energy shifted from a nice thought to a difficult one and emotions are shifting, that it takes a very conscious deliberate shifting of thoughts, sometimes several thoughts very quickly together.  An example from last night while watching MarShae and Marielle perform with the youth from Church. 
 I thought about how fun it was to see Madie sing in a choir.  She always lit up when she was singing.  As I thought this last night at the Youth Christmas performance, and also at the Klein Choir concert during the week, I was in a situation where couldn't walk outside, or change what I was doing, and so I had to purposely direct my thoughts various places very hard for about 17 seconds.  I remember wondering if I would be able to get on top of the emotions that had come up.  I thought about how fun it was to see her sing,I also quickly thought about how much I was enjoying watching my girls and many others performing.  I thought about my gratitude for my Savior Jesus Christ, that because of his life, and most especially his death and resurrection, I will be with Madie again.  I thought about how grateful I am for the wonderful opportunities that my children get to participate in.  All of these I did in a very short period of time, and found that I was able to shift.  

No comments:

Post a Comment