Friday, October 7, 2016

The Rose Ring



  Last month I went on an Annual Business trip with Larry to San Antonio.  I have gone many times in the past 22 years, and it rotates to different cities in Texas. We left early Wednesday morning and checked into our Hotel before 10 am.  I then dropped Larry off at a golfing event and drove to the San Antonio Temple to attend the last session for that day at noon.  




   The Houston Temple had been  closed for three weeks, and I was excited to visit the San Antonio Temple. I have heard since it was finished in 2005 that it was incredibly beautiful. I had no expectations of anything unusual happening, but was soon surprised by one of the most extraordinary   "Madie Hello's"  I have experienced since Madeline passed away.





I saw a young girl in the dressing room waiting with her mother that I knew from  the Houston Temple.  We hugged and I had hoped to sit by her but when I went into the Ordinance Room there was one open seat on the front row and then some seats on the third row. She was seated on the second row. Since there wasn't an empty chair by her I almost sat on the front row so I would have more time in the Celestial Room before the Temple closed, but then thought, "No just go sit on the third row." Soon another woman came in and sat next to me. I had no way of knowing at the time how important that was.

 As the session began I felt so much peace, and somewhat sleepy from getting up so early.  Eventually we changed rooms and when I entered the new room I was overcome with the intricate beauty.   It felt wonderful to be in a temple again.

 The sister next to me touched my hand and said "I haven't seen a ring like this since the one my husband gave me for my wedding ring." 



   I explained that my husband bought one for each of the girls in our family for Christmas a few years ago just after my daughter passed away in a car accident because her middle name was Rose.  Unfortunately I lost the diamond out of my wedding ring just before the accident so now I wear this for my wedding ring, and love the constant reminder of my sweet girl. 



  She was overcome with emotion to see it again but I noticed she wasn't wearing her rose ring.  She proceeded to tell me that while we were in the other room she was drowsy and felt a hand pat her leg just like her husband used to do.  It aroused her and she looked at her watch and realized what day and time it was.
 Her husband  had died suddenly 36 years ago at that very time, just two weeks after she had giving birth to their 4th child. 
She knew the anniversary was close but tried to block out focusing on it so that she doesn't experience the trauma and emotions all over again. I understood perfectly the difficulty of anniversaries.
  
She then explained that she didn't have her ring any more because she gave it to her oldest daughter who's name was Madeline.  At that point I about fell out of my chair.  I realized how many things had lined up for us to be there sitting next to each other. We had both left our house early that morning living 7 hours apart and were sitting next to each other by noon, in a room full of people.


Soon we entered the Celestial room, which had roses in a bouquet on a table right in front of the tree of life stained glass window.  I felt like I was in another world as tears filled my eyes.  

We sat down and she related to me that it was a very last minute decision to come to the temple. 
Her friend named "Rosa" had called her the night before and asked her if she could possibly drive to the temple with her in the morning.  She cleared her day and they also left early that morning from McAllen,Texas to make the last session at noon. 

I was overcome with how much the Lord loves each of his children, and how merciful he is. I know that his love is real.  I felt an outpouring of it in his Holy Temple and I knew that angels had been close by watching over details in my life. 

12 comments:

  1. What a tender mercy. I never look at a rose and do not think of her. Love you JoLynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That was so touching.
    It's a reminder of just HOW close our loved ones are who have passed on and how much our Father in Heaven loves us and aends comfort.
    Thank you for sharing your experience❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie! I have thought back on this so many times since it happened and marveled at how much help we are often given.

      Delete
  3. Jolynn, is a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing it with us. There are so many on the other side of the veil that are blessing and strengthening those of us on this side of the veil. We need each other! Credit to you for the seeing the Lord's hand in this smallest of miracles with the largest of meaning...for both of you. May the Lord continue to remind you of the great love he has for you and your wonderful family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tom! I have pondered on the miracle of this over and over. It would have been a very cool experience if she had just told me she had given the ring to her daughter, without telling me her name. I thought of several times I almost changed my plans, and would have missed this experience. I also had reconfirmed how in the details of our thoughts even are promptings that if not heeded who knows what we miss out on. It has changed the way I view situations that occur.

      Delete
  4. So those who went before us are allowed, probably encouraged, to communicate with us and comfort us when we need it even though it takes them away from their work there. Almost like missionaries emailing home each week! Knowing this, also builds our confidence in the Lord, preparing us for our interview with Him some day!
    The temple is so key in our progression!
    Thank you for sharing Jolynn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfectly stated. I love your additional insights.

      Delete
  5. indeed this is very special...! This should be in the Ensign! Thanks for the very uplifting post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! It was so unexpected, and needed on this particular day <3

    ReplyDelete