Monday, February 23, 2015

Look who's 30...

I have contemplated for a long time about doing a blog post for Rachelle on her 30th Birthday.  The task seemed a bit daunting, because I felt like I wouldn't do her justice, but since  I love her and I am incredibly proud of her I decided I would start at the beginning....

On Feb 22, 1995 Larry and I went to see the newly released movie "Amadeus".  It was three hours long and we got home very late. A big storm was coming through much like this year, and my water broke about 2 hours later, (barometric pressure change)
I was soon induced, and by late afternoon Rachelle was born. 

I was beyond elated when I was told she was a girl.  I had longed for sisters, but was surrounded by brothers, and I was sure I finally had a girl that could fill that longed for relationship. 
 From the beginning I dressed her in frilly dresses,

 bows and pink as many pictures will attest. 

 But by the time she was about six I realized she had no desire to be a girly musician.




 I was a bit dense because I religiously curled her hair in sponge rollers every Saturday night for several years. 
 I remember finally having some light bulb moments.






One Sunday she came home from church, wet her hair (combing out all the curls) and put on a hat.

 Piano lessons with her were a disaster!  I finally realized, she was a very different girl then me, and I needed to give up my vision of making a "mini me", and let her emerge and discover who she was.
When Rachelle was five, I signed her up for swim team, and that was when I started understanding she was a girl who focused on goals, and didn't give up till she accomplished what she determined needed to happen. I watched her improve that year, and become an excellent swimmer.  She wanted to win, and win she did!

She talked me into playing soccer next, and the first game I went to, I was shocked to see her bulldoze her way down a field, determined to do all she could to help her team win.
This determination I have witnessed for over 20 years.  She's a leader who steps up and gets things accomplished.

We soon added softball to the mix, and I watched her practice pitching,fielding and batting for a few years. She was part of an all star team when she was 10 and loved playing with a talented group of athletes.
The next sport on her list to try was basketball. Volleyball was added right behind it, and these became her sports during Junior High School. She started on both teams, and loved them both, but had to make a choice as she started High School.  As a freshman she chose basketball, and started on the JV team that year, and the Varsity team  her sophomore year.

  She was amazing to watch!  She practiced shooting for hours and became brilliant at 3 pointers, and free throws.  I loved watching her play.  Shot's repeatedly swished and her energy was contagious to her teammates, she was a leader.






Rachelle also has an incredible work ethic.  She learned how to juggle work or practices with a demanding academic schedule.  She life guarded starting at 15, got a job at a research company doing phone surveys at 16, She learned the art of persuasion, and often was their top producer of the shift, even though she was their youngest employee.





Somehow she always squeezed in some time for fun!



Rachelle was determined to go to BYU, and when she realized she wouldn't be tall enough to play on their women's Basketball team, she quit basketball her senior year to take a promotion to night supervisor at her job, and added Academic Decathlon

She was awarded a full tuition Scholarship to BYU plus she received the Jesse Jones Scholarship which gave her s few thousand dollars each year for living expenses.  She mastered the art of setting goals, breaking them down and accomplishing her vision, while she still found time for fun, hanging with friends, playing intramural football, and basketball, on winning teams.

Upon graduating from BYU''s Business School she was offered a position at Godmann Sachs. I remember her telling me that during her interview they said, "You have a really impressive resume for someone just leaving college.  How did you do it?"
She started in the Salt Lake office, then took a new position in the Dallas office after a couple of years, and this past year took another promotion and came home to Houston, which has been a great blessing to our family.

With Rachelle being the second to the oldest, she had lot's of opportunities to learn about caring for children. 

 She is the cool big sister,
the glue in the family always planning trips, and outings with her siblings. 

 She is a mentor to her younger sister's inspiring them to work hard and achieve greatness.  When Madie' was 12 Rachelle took her on a little date, and told her that if she earned her Young Women medallion, got accepted into BYU and graduated in the top 10% of her class, she would take her on a trip to New York. Even though school was difficult for Madie she worked for 7 years, and reached these goals.
  The New York  trip was the first sister trip,

 because MarShae happened to win a National Scholastic competition, which included receiving her award at Carnegie Hall. 

They combined the trips and the three of them had a fabulous time.

Rachelle has always made a point to get to the important events her siblings are involved in,
regardless of what state it may be happening in.

When Madie passed away, Rachelle stepped into the role of leading the family through that most difficult of times, as we spent over a week in the hospital with Taylor, planning a funeral. She was a rock.  The funeral, much because of her vision, was beautiful, and I learned she is rock solid under extreme pressure.
She has done incredible things to help our family rebuild after losing Madie.  She started Rose Runners, and then #sharekindness this past year on the two year anniversary.
I couldn't be prouder of this incredible girl that I was privileged to give birth to 30 years ago.  I can't wait to see where the next 30 years takes you!
Love, Mom


1 comment: